#1 James Sites

James Sites

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country CodeUnited States
  • Postal Code:15024

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:59 AM

Outside of the MTF wiki and Facebook feed, where do you look for inspiration?

Although there are some very good books out there like American Sour Beers, I very rarely, if ever, consult them. Strangely enough, the book that I really look to when brewing sour beers is a cooking book called The Flavor Bible. If you haven't checked it out, you need to.

Blogs? Again, obviously The Mad Fermentationist, but I also really like The Farmhouse Obsession, Browne and Bitter, and Sour Beer Blog. Larsblog is also awesome, but for different reasons. Specifically cultivating traditional brewing techniques.

Podcasts and Videos? Outside of The Sour Hour and Basic Brewing Radio, I really like checking out old Brewing TV episodes. There's just something about them that I like a lot.

How about you all?

• Andrew Addkison likes this

#2 Andrew Addkison

Andrew Addkison

Prokaryotic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Postal Code:39047

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the call out man!

I get a ton of inspiration from Browne and Bitter, Ales of the Riverwards, Spontaneous Funk, The Mad Fermentationist and Lewy Brewing for blogs.  I also watch a few BrewTubers regularly.

I get most of my ideas from looking at the breweries I like too.  I've brewed a lot of beers similar to what Hill Farmstead, Jester King and some of the other great farmhouse and sour producers have done.  But I look the most at Tired Hands and Forest and Main as they are two of my all time favorite breweries doing a mix of my favorite styles.  Midway through this year I was a little burned out just brewing Saison and I started brewing some British and German beers to recharge.  Those guys do a mix of things to keep it fresh and I really enjoy that.  I'll pull up their tap rooms and see what they have on and then try to either emulate that or put my own spin on it. 

I also read a lot of style books but mostly for the lore and the history of it all.

• James Sites likes this

#3 James Sites

James Sites

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Postal Code:15024

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for the call out man!

I get a ton of inspiration from Browne and Bitter, Ales of the Riverwards, Spontaneous Funk, The Mad Fermentationist and Lewy Brewing for blogs.  I also watch a few BrewTubers regularly.

I get most of my ideas from looking at the breweries I like too.  I've brewed a lot of beers similar to what Hill Farmstead, Jester King and some of the other great farmhouse and sour producers have done.  But I look the most at Tired Hands and Forest and Main as they are two of my all time favorite breweries doing a mix of my favorite styles.  Midway through this year I was a little burned out just brewing Saison and I started brewing some British and German beers to recharge.  Those guys do a mix of things to keep it fresh and I really enjoy that.  I'll pull up their tap rooms and see what they have on and then try to either emulate that or put my own spin on it. 

I also read a lot of style books but mostly for the lore and the history of it all.

Ed's blog is fantastic, as well.

Good call on looking towards breweries that you admire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users