• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:53 AM

My best beer to date.

50%/25%/25% Pilsner/wheat/flaked malt

OG: 1.055, mash at 65C, 90m boil.
IBU: ?? Used ~3g/l of old hops - 0-1% AA

Primary fermentation with random dry yeast (Nottingham). Transferred to barrel after a week. About 3 months on barrel (30l barrel). One week before bottling 3g/l of Simcoe and 3g/l of Amarillo was added. Bottle refermentation with 8g/l of sugar. Two months on bottle before sampling. So quite a young beer.

Acidity is muted, not quite Lambic level acidity. Still it is "bright" and quite clear. Strong flavours of peach - some grapefruit and citrus. Wife rejected the beer with "You know I don't like it when you add fruit into the beer". Quite a bit of funk (I didn't expect this much funk after such a short fermentation). Aroma was wonderful. I really like the combination of modest acidity, funk and fruity hops. The hops and acidity merge together into this set of "succulent" flavours. The resulting beer was very quaffable and disappeared rather quickly.

The magic component here is of course the barrel. As most barrels it a rather wide wide variety of bacteria and yeast in it. Hop resistance seems to becoming higher and higher.

• James Sites likes this

#2 James Sites

James Sites

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country CodeUnited States
  • Postal Code:15024

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:53 AM

The magic component here is of course the barrel. As most barrels it a rather wide wide variety of bacteria and yeast in it. Hop resistance seems to becoming higher and higher.

What's been in the barrel before?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users